A ROWE (results only work environment) is a fairly progressive, and extremely effective business/organization culture and practice. Our current control-based management mindsets are based on a bygone era. A throwback to the factories in the industrial revolution.
However, there is still much resistance to the acceptance of this successful, modern, business practice. These things are based largely around 6 myths that the ROWE blog seeks to address:
- ROWE is telework, flextime, and work from home program.
- If people get their work done in less than 40 hours, then they need more work.
- Not every business can be a ROWE.
- Not every employee can be trusted.
- In a ROWE people will take advantage and slack off.
- Managers need to be in the office for their people.
All of these statements are false. All objections are answered by focusing on this fact: ROWE is not about time and place of the work, it is about meeting results.